Tuesday, December 28, 2010

VMware Workstation 7 installation problem - "Failed to create the requested registry key"

This morning I've been struggling with an issue I encountered while installing VMware Workstation 7 (7.1.0-261024) on my laptop running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I was prompted with an error right after the installation process just started:

Failed to create the requested registry key
Key: Installer
Error: 1021

I tried to search Internet for helps as usual but none of the suggestions worked in my case. Finally I decided to try something on my own based on what I'd learned from their explanations. It looked like there's some permission issue with the VMware installer writing a key into my Windows Registry since I updated my Windows 7 just recently (note that I had been able to install the same VMware version on this particular laptop before I re-formatted my Windows 7 and updated the latest patches). The 'key' here is referring to {HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.}.

What I did was, uninstalled the existing VMware Remote Console on my laptop (I was using VMware Server as well), then did a search-and-destroy of those suspicious keys in my Registry. In fact, you must uninstall all other versions of VMware products before you can install a different product (the installation process would automatically prompt you to do that but in my case the problem hit before that). And use the keyword 'vmware' to search for targets to delete in your Registry (basically I only deleted those keys which were supposedly used by VMware programs only but not Windows). The rule of thumb is to backup your Registry of course.

Then I tried my luck again, and wholla! It finally completed the installation. Credits to my predecessors who faced the same problem and shared their ideas on the mighty Internet.

25 comments:

  1. Thank you! I looked for VMware in the registry, and I found it NOT in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ but in a subfolder (called "Wow...."). Deleted --> install successful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW64 is a sub-system in all 64-bit Windows genres such as Win7 64-bit that supports running of 32-bit apps. Since VMware still creates its keys under the WoW64 node in Registry, my take is VMware still runs on 32-bit mode.

    My other common issues with Windows 7 includes one that has something to do with insufficient privilege to add keys to Registry. If you ever encounter the same issue, just make sure you right-click your app installer and choose 'Run As Administrator'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hann your solutions was right

    ReplyDelete
  4. Works perfectly in my Windows 7 Ultimate Ed! Greets from Argentina and 1Ton of "Thanks" ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1 Ton of 'Welcome' back to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, I was pulling my hair out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that I saved your hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks @Enrico! that worked, @hann, I don't see why that would work, the installer gets always runned as admin, like all other installers o.O

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really just my personal experience I had when I once installed a software in Windows Server 2008 R2 (with which Windows 7 shares some commonality). During that time the installation just finished without any issue. However, as I started to execute the application, I discovered that some of the application settings had not been saved (again no error ever prompted me). Once I re-installed the app using the "Run as administrator" option then the problem was fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah!! I Got it !

    I seem your behind with sunshine!

    IF YOUR O/S 64Bit, Delete Registry HKLM/SOFTWARE/WOW64/VMware, Inc

    thx Enrico and Hann

    Now! Let's have some fun with FreeBSD heh heh heh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you from Hungary too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Han, I love you :)

    You just saved my screen I was gonna smash it with this fucking error 1021 :D

    Thanks mate,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a lot !! It finally worked and I'm very happy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gracias Hann, has solucionado mi problema.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi Hann I have the similar issue but for me error is : 2 I tried your suggestion still the error comes. plz help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a quick Google search and found this post which might be relevant to your case here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/failed-to-create-the-requested-registry-key/52129f66-186d-4b04-bdcd-c753d4d93c02. According to the explanation given in the post, it seems like the installer does not have enough permission to access the Windows Registry key. Try this: right-click the VMware installer and choose 'Run as administrator'. Sometimes we need to deliberately do this in order to make sure any installation would succeed without problem. If this method doesn't work, then you may try follow the method described in the post linked. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  16. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information?
    vmware training uk

    ReplyDelete